DIY Diaper Cake Basket
Everyone has heard of a diaper cake, but have you heard about a diaper cake basket? I originally got the idea off of Pinterest and there is a vendor who sells them on Etsy for $45 plus shipping. I decided to take the challenge and create one for my best friend who is having a baby boy in December.
I was not successful in finding a step-by-step guide to making this basket, so I experimented and after a few hours and a few flops, I created the following basket for Mom to Be:
DIY Diaper Cake Basket
DIY Diaper Cake Supplies:
Ribbon (to wrap the foam wreath)
Pins (to secure the diapers to the foam wreath and to keep the ribbon in place)
Rubberbands (to individually wrap each diaper)
Ribbon to tie around the diapers to hold them in place and to make a bow
Wooden elephant from Michael’s
DIY Diaper Cake Instructions
1. Roll up each diaper individually and tie with a rubberband. Make enough to go around the perimeter of the cake platter.
2. Use a ribbon to keep all the diapers together. Tie a bow at the front and embellish with your choice of decor. I used an elephant because it fit the theme of the shower and his nursery. Use pins to secure the ribbon along the way.
3. Cut the foam wreath in half and wrap with your ribbon of choice. Secure with pins or hot glue.
4. Pin the foam to the top of the diapers on the side or push a dowel through the base and into the foam. (Push them upward through the diaper and into the base of the foam).
5. Fill the middle of the basket with crinkled paper.
6. The fun part – fill the basket with gifts of your choice!
Word of Warning: Although the basket is creative and cute, it is fragile. I learned the hard way as an innocent soul picked the diaper cake basket up by the handle. Across the room, I saw my masterpiece crumble into a million little pieces and my heart stopped beating for a bit. None the less, it was a great talking piece until the moment of its demise. I highly recommend creating your own and coming up with a way to make it more secure. Please share if you end up discovering how to make it idiot proof.
At any rate, I enjoyed trying something new and creating a one-of-a-kind baby shower gift. Here are some other gift ideas for Baby Showers if you aren’t ready to commit to a DIY Diaper Cake Basket:
Tip Junkie has over 60 homemade baby shower gift ideas. Check it out at here. Have fun and let me know how your homemade project turns out or how much money you paid your crafty friend to make one for you.
*Contains affiliate links